Smell Gas?

When you smell gas

If you smell gas, do not light any flame. Follow steps 1-3 below and contact Tokyo Gas immediately.

1. Open the windows as much as possible.

2. Close the gas taps on appliances and pipes.

3. Close the gas tap on the meter as well.

Exclusive phone for reporting gas leakages


Phone: 0570-002299
(Navi Dial, NTT operated Japan-wide call handling service)
Always start from 0 when dialing

If the Navi Dial does not work, call:
(IP phone - for calls from overseas, etc.)

Reception hours: 24 hours (exclusive for reporting gas leakages, no holidays)

For general inquires, call the Tokyo Gas Customer Center

  • To prevent misdialing, please make sure you are calling the correct number.
  • If you use a mobile phone, toll-free minutes and discounted services (including fixed amount calls, etc.) included in the basic fee will not apply (tolls will apply). Upon verifying the policy of the carrier that you contract, select the number that you wish to dial.

*Please only use the exclusive phone for reporting gas leakages in emergencies such as when you smell gas, etc. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
*Please use the FAX service if you have difficulty hearing or speaking.

  • Do not use a lighter or matches or light any kind of flame.
  • Do not touch the switches for lights, ventilation fans, etc. (a small spark is produced when these are turned on and off).
  • If you smell the gas outside, close your doors and windows to prevent the gas from entering. Warn your neighbors if necessary and assist with evacuation.
  • Move away from where you smell gas.
Do not

City gas from Tokyo Gas

  • Gas is inherently odorless but has been odorized to allow early detection of leaks.
  • The city gas supplied by Tokyo Gas is lighter than air, so when there is a leak indoors, gas will collect near the ceiling. Some city gas (a type called 6A) and propane gas are heavier than air, so these will collect near the floor.
  • City gas is made of natural gas and does not include carbon monoxide, so breathing it in on its own will not cause carbon monoxide poisoning. However, a lack of combustion air when using a gas appliance or a mismatch between the type of gas and gas appliance can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Never release gas into open air as this can cause an explosion and/or fire.
Page Top