Periodic Safety Inspections
We conduct free gas equipment inspections based on the Gas Business Act and other regulations.
What is a periodic safety inspection?
These are inspections of gas pipe leakage, supply and ventilation equipment (on bathtub gas water heaters and gas water heaters) and other equipment that we conduct based on the Gas Business Act and other regulations so that our customers can use gas safely. You will never be charged when we visit to conduct these checks.
- These inspections are done for all customers receiving city gas from Tokyo Gas, but depending on the supply/ventilation equipment of the customer's bathtub gas water heather(s) and gas water heater(s), the inspection may be inside or outside.
- In the case of an indoor inspection, we will notify you of the scheduled date in advance and, on the day, enter your kitchen and other areas to conduct the inspection. We ask that you be present for this.
- For customers living in apartment complexes, if the relevant gas equipment is installed outside, the inspection may only be conducted outside.
- In addition, with your permission, we may measure the carbon monoxide content of the exhaust from certain bathtub gas water heaters, gas water heaters and other appliances. *We may ask you to refrain from using certain appliances based on these measurements.
- You will be visited by an employee of Tokyo Gas LifeVal or Enesta, our contractors. Customers living in certain parts of Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma and Saitama may be visited by an employee of Tokyo Gas. *Customers with contracts with gas retailers other than Tokyo Gas may be visited by an employee of the Tokyo Gas Group if these retailers have contracted this work to us.
- The inspection should take 10-15 minutes.
- After the inspection, you will be given a notice of the inspection results along with a safety pamphlet.
- If you have any questions or requests of Tokyo Gas, please inquire during this visit.
Inspection date notice and requests
Before our visit for the periodic safety inspection, we will send you a notice with the inspection date and time as well as some requests.
If this preferred date and time does not suit your schedule, the inspection can be moved.
The tentative time and date for the visit to your premises are
This schedule can be changed. If you do not contact Tokyo Gas to make a change, our service person will be visiting you at the time and date noted above.
If you wish to change the schedule, please contact Tokyo Gas.
To request a change of schedule by telephone...
This is what is checked on the periodic safety check of gas equipment!
The checking work takes only about 10 - 15 minutes. We request your presence and cooperation during it.
Please be aware that our service person checks equipment both outdoors and indoors.
- Gas burners
- Check of how they light and burn
- City gas alarms
- Check of the expiration date, etc.
- Gas taps
- Check of the state of installation
- Gas fan heaters and other gas appliances
- Check of the state of connection
- Gas pipes & gas meters
- (microcomputer-controlled meters)Check for gas leakage
- Bath water heaters and other water heaters
- Check of the state of installation, combustion, etc.
Flow of the check
- The service person will ask if there is any smell of gas.
- The service person will ask about any gas-related trouble or problems.
- Outdoor check
- Check for gas leaks from gas pipes.
- Check of the gas meter.
- Check to see that bath water heaters and other water heaters installed outdoors are safely installed.
- Indoor check
- Check of the state of combustion of gas burners.
- Check of the state of installation of gas taps and the connection of their fittings.
- Check to see that bath water heaters and other water heaters installed indoors are safely installed.
- Explanation of the results of the check etc.
- Explanation of the results of the check and cautions in use of gas.
- Explanation of ways to make improvements if any areas requiring it are found.
We ask for your cooperation with this check, which is being conducted to assure the safety and comfort of your gas use.
Inspection results notice
After the inspection, you will be given a notice of the results of the inspection along with a safety pamphlet.
If you are not at home for the inspection
If you are not at home when we visit for the inspection, we will leave a notice of absence in your mailbox.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but ask that you contact us regarding another convenient date and time.
Safety management structure
Tokyo Gas appoints a safety supervisor at each office and, as part of its safety management structure, implements its own safety activities in addition to the mandatory consumer appliance checks.
We also conduct a variety of safety activities corresponding to the characteristics of customers' homes and businesses besides the mandatory consumer appliance checks.